So, are you tired of the daily grind? Do you feel like a cog or just another corporate drone? Are you a natural born leader?
If the answer to any of these is, “yes”, then it sounds like you’re ready to be a boss. You have to act like one, and here’s how.
Say goodbye to the ball and chain and the predictable 9 to 5 life and hello to the joy that is 12 hour days, not paying yourself first and no vacations–for the first couple of years at least. At this point I assume that your mouth is open and you’re clutching your imaginary pearls. The fact remains that most new ventures fail after the fifth year, you’ll be doing this 24/7, it’s important that you be passionate about whatever it is you choose to do. There is a paradigm shift that needs to take place, and it will be imperative to start thinking like a boss and ditch the employee mindset, for example:
- Learn to say no, you have to protect your time, it’s precious.
- Just do it. Getting stuff done is better than making it perfect, perfection can be a silent killer. If you wait for every little thing to be just right, it slows down the process and ultimately the progress of the company.
- Sleep will become your newest hobby. Long hours are now par for the course, that’s why it becomes so important to do something that you love because you’ll be spending a lot of time doing it. When you begin to grow weary, just remember that you are working toward your dream, not someone else’s, that should keep you motivated.
- Unless you have a business partner you’ll be alone often, this could feel a little lonely at times, especially if you’re working from home. Try going to a coffee shop, break up the monotony and get out of the house for a bit.
- Get used to wearing many hats.You will have to perform many roles, there is no place for ego, you’ll be IT, accounting, HR, and janitorial.
- Most importantly, be sure to stick to a schedule, get up, wash your face and get start your day. A schedule will help you stay focused and productive.
It’s sounds daunting because it is, and it definitely won’t be the easiest thing you’ve ever done, but it is rewarding beyond measure. Ready? Steady. Go!
*click image to enlarge