What is Women Interactive?
Women Interactive is a tech and media website that actively works to increase the number of women and women of color involved in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) industries. To further this mission, Women Interactive produces tech based classes, workshops and the Women Interactive Creative Technology Festival. A social enterprise, a portion of Women Interactive’s proceeds benefits tech based education programs for girls.
What is Women Interactive Creative Technology Festival?
Women Interactive Creative Technology Festival is a day long interactive technology festival designed to encourage and empower women and women of color to get involved in the tech and start-up spaces. In keeping with the fast paced nature of technology, WICTF allows college students, collegiate faculty, technology, media, creative professionals and enthusiasts the opportunity to interact with innovative technology by following the three pillars on which the festival is based: Interaction, Education and Inspiration.
The festival is held at Spelman College in partnership with the Spelman Digital Moving Image Salon (DMIS) and Dr. Ayoka Chenzira.
About the Digital Moving Image Salon
The Digital Moving Image Salon began at Spelman College in the fall of 2004. Founded by internationally award-winning filmmaker and interactive digital media artist, Ayoka Chenzira, it is a mechanism through which the college encourages and supports the growing number of students interested in creating stories for digital media platforms. In 2012, DMIS was named Best Fine Arts Program by The Center for HBCU Media Advocacy.
Women Interactive’s mission is to create an environment where women creatives and technologists interact, educate and inspire each other to use technology to create creatively impactful content.
We plan to accomplish this mission by:
- Encouraging, inspiring and affecting positive social change through the use, development and innovation of art, entertainment, science, media and technology.
- Inspiring and encouraging women and girls to be creators, innovators and owners of positive and well balanced content as it pertains to women in the fields of art, entertainment and media.
- Funding and/or producing art, culture, entertainment, media and technology productions that inspire women and affect social change.
Serving as a platform and launching pad for women’s creative endeavors in these fields with a special focus on (but not limited to) women who are typically under-served by the media, including but not limited to: African American, Hispanic, Asian and Native American women.
- Exhibiting innovation in the fields of art, culture, entertainment, media and technology to women in under-served communities.
1. We inspire and encourage the creation of creative projects.
2. We inspire and encourage women and women of color to enter the field of technology.
3. We encourage the use of technology to solve community issues.
4. We increase economic prosperity in under served communities by encouraging and supporting tech professionals who reside in those communities.
5. We encourage women and young girls to find and foster their brilliance.
6. We are creatives and entrepreneurs who believe in the culture and global impact of creative technology.